Sunday, September 12, 2010

In My Room


I love my room. It has taken years to get it just how I like it and soon I will have to leave it to live in a dorm in Eugene. Don't get me wrong, I am very excited for college. But the idea of not being able to live, sleep and study in my room anymore is somewhat troubling. As I sit here on my bed I take a look at everything I love about this room:

1. It is my creation. In middle school, when I still shared a room with my brother, I began to beg my parents for my own room. Finally my dad caved and moved all of his stuff out of his den down the hall from me and my brother's room. When it was all cleared out it was a white box with two windows looking out onto our driveway and the street, a large metal desk, three white shelves (empty) and a closet (also empty). Over the four or so years since I moved in I have made it my own.

2. My bed is ridiculously comfortable. It is a plush top full with all of my favorite blankets on it. It is tucked into the corner of the room with no bed frame and is quite easy to crash on after a long day.

3. My walls are plastered completely with posters from shows I have been in or seen, a magnetic dartboard, posters of yin yangs and peace signs and pretty much anything else I could find to make it harder to see that the walls are all insane asylum white. I have my walls just how I want them now and it has taken a full four years to get them that way.

4. My shelves are crammed with stuff now to the point where they look like a paused game of Tetris. I happen to love this. I know where everything is and exactly how to move things so that they don't all come crashing down. Shelf number one has two parts. The first is lined with scripts from all the plays I have been in since sixth grade and pictures from most of them. These start with "Mystery in the Wings" and end with "Handprint Alley". The second part of shelf one has my book collection and my year books. They started in a nice row but I ran out of room and now they are half hazardly wedged together. Shelf number two has my stuffed animal collection. I have far too many stuffed animals for my age but I really don't care. I also have a couple model airplanes on this shelf. Shelf number three is all board games and a couple more stuffed animals.

5. My instruments are all kept in my room. I have a keyboard, two guitars and a ukelele. All of them bring me great joy. Guitar is the only instrument I have been playing for a considerable amount of time. Ten years to be exact. I enjoy playing it while singing and occasionally posting a song on Youtube. Also, when inspiration strikes, I have all the necessary tools to write songs in my room. I haven't written that many songs, but the ones I have written I am proud of.

6. The latest addition to my room is the glow in the dark stars on my ceiling. I love these. before I got sleep every night I look up at them and smile. Stargazing may be my favorite activity outside of acting and singing. That explains the blog title and url in case that was fuzzy ;)

Although I am leaving my room, I know I will be able to come back to it and it will be the same. Warm, comforting, and full of the things that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment