Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Love Oscar Wilde


Just finished reading "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde. Also, I have decided that I love Oscar Wilde. His writing has such a wonderful wit to it that is very rare in modern comedy. There are some seriously great quotes in this play.

Examples:


-"The only way to behave to a woman is to make love to her if she is pretty and to someone else if she is plain" (Act I, p. 51)


-"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone" (Act I, p.45)


-"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" (Act I)

Probably what I enjoyed most about reading this play is that it made me think. There were many lines that I had to reread in order to decipher the incredibly sophisticated comedy within. This is definitely one of my favorite plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment